Vegan Penne alla Vodka
Vegan Penne alla Vodka
I have always been a huge fan of Penne all Vodka. I have been vegetarian almost all my life, so I have a strong memory of what it tastes like with all the dairy. I promise you this vegan Penne all Vodka is so creamy and delicious, you will not miss the dairy at all.
I like to add three different forms of tomato to balance out the super creamy nature of this dish. I also love using red pepper flakes and vegan Parmesan with lots of fresh parsley to garnish it while it’s piping hot. This is my favorite way to serve it, but of course you should figure out how you like to serve it!
Another thing I love about this penne dish is that it’s so quick and easy! You don’t need anything special to make it, other than a decent blender and a few pans.
Ingredients for Vegan Penne alla Vodka
Sun Dried Tomatoes
The sun-dried tomatoes give that unmistakable umami kick. It’s why I included them in addition to the tomato powder and the tomato sauce. It makes it just a bit more complex and tasty.
Dried, Ground Herbs
I like to grind my dried herbs in a spare coffee grinder to make them as fine as possible. I love a very smooth vodka sauce, but I also love my herbs, so this is the solution I found so there wouldn’t be large bits in it.
I really love adding tomato powder to this dish. It adds a bit of tanginess you don’t get from the sun-dried tomatoes or the tomato sauce. It may feel redundant, but I really suggest using this trifecta of tomatoes.
Vegan Cooking Cream
Vegan cooking cream is super easy to find now. You can use a small can of coconut cream if you can’t find a nut based or oat based one. I tend to always try to find the oat based one for this dish in particular because I am always paranoid a coconut flavor is going to peek through.
The vodka is up to you! I found some French vodka that worked really well, but honestly – use what you can find. It can be cheap, as long as you like the flavor.
Making Vegan Penne alla Vodka
As I mentioned, I love this dish because it’s so satisfying and quick. You can get away with only dirtying a pan and a pot and a blender and it feels like so much more of an elaborate meal that the mess shows for it.
The important thing to remember is to get that sauce smooth and packed with flavor! The more soft you get the sun dried tomatoes, the better off you are. Same goes for grinding your herbs, the smaller the bits, the better off the sauce will be.
There is a bit of layered cooking here. Start with the herbs, add the red sauce mixture, add the cream – pour over pasta. It’s really this simple, as you will see from the recipe below.
First you are going to shape your fish fillets and then dip them in the batter and then fry! That’s really all there is to it! For the chips I just thinly cut potatoes and fry them in the same oil and sprinkle with Old Bae.
Serving Vegan Penne alla Vodka
When I started this post I mentioned I love serving this dish piping hot! Lots of fresh parsley, vegan parmesan and spicy red pepper! It’s such a bowl of happy and delicious!
I hope you enjoy!
Vegan Penne alla Vodka
This simple Penne alla Vodka is pure comfort in a bowl! Creamy and full of tomato flavor is what the recipe is all about.
- 10 sundried tomatoes, soaked in hot water for 10 minutes and roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato powder
- 1 bouillon cube, vegan chicken dissolved in 1/4 cup of filtered water
- 250 ml vegan cooking cream
- 1 cup vodka
- 400 grams tomato sauce. smooth
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp vegan butter
- 4 servings dried penne
- Boil penne according to package instructions in salted water. Drain and set aside. Keep 1 cup of pasta water to the side, you may need it for later.
- Add sundried tomatoes, tomato sauce, garlic powder, tomato powder, and bouillon broth to blender and blend until smooth.
- Heat a large sauce pan and add butter when warm.
- Add dried herbs to sauce pan and fry until fragrant, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add vodka to frypan and let alcohol cook off.
- Add tomato mixture from blender to fypan, and mix until blended well. Cook 3-5 minutes.
- Add vegan cream to fry pan and mix well.
- Carefully add penne to the sauce pan and coat evently. If the sauce is too thick, add the reserved pasta water, one tbsp at a time to loosen it up.
- Serve hot with lots of fresh parsley, red paper flakes and vegan parmesean.
If enjoyed this meal let me know what you think by leaving a ★★★★★ star rating and comment below with any questions or feedback. These are two small things that add up to a ton of support, which I really appreciate. Also show off your pics to me on instagram by tagging @theveganholidayblog and #veganholidaypic – I am excited to see your meals!
Sometimes I can make a small commission if you purchase something I wholeheartedly recommend. The small percentage (that doesn’t cost you anything) helps me keep this blog alive! Thank you for your support.