We are thrilled to participate in #brunchweek 2020 and contribute some vegan brunch favorites that are simple and delicious! I am sure you can find some “accidentally vegan” or easy-to-alter vegan brunches from the lovely ladies participating this week. Check them out at the end of this post!
I love a simple morning! This is a very low fuss vegan breakfast we whip up in about 15 minutes, which is the best when you are in a rush but want to eat something warm. We don’t use a lot of syrup at home, but if you do, it’s an obvious addition if you are feeling like an extra treat. The egg replacer I like best is not available in the states, but the follow your heart vegan egg, would be the perfect one to use here. This is not a situation where ground flax seed would work particularly well. If you have anise on had, I highly recommend using that version so add some extra warm flavor to this comfort dish!
Hope you love this vegan french toast as much as we do!
quick and easy weekday french toast
- 3 thick slices of hearty bread
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- egg replacer mixed to yield 1 cup while liquid
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup filtered water (optional if not using anise water)*
- 3 anise stars (optional)
- the night before place the anise stars in the filtered water and cover. you can place in fridge or leave on counter. this step isn’t necessary, but adds a nice flavor combined with the cinnamon.
- in a medium sized bowl, combine the mixed egg replacer with cinnamon, and anise water, whisk until completely combined. move to a shallow pan or bowl.
- add a tablespoon of vegan butter to your frying pan and turn on medium.
- take one piece of the bread you sliced and dip it in briefly on both sides until completely saturated, but not soggy.
- carefully place your dipped bread onto hot, buttered frying pan and wait for the bottom of the slice of bread to brown around the edges, then flip.
- when both sides are completely cooked and browned, remove from heat and place on a nearby plate. move on to the next piece of bread, until all three are complete.
- *if you are not using anise water, replace with plant milk.
- plate with fruit, cinnamon sprink, and powdered sugar. enjoy!